Work Permit

Work Permit

A work permit is a legal document permitting a foreign national to engage in employment while inside of Canada.

Canada has two fundamentally familiar work permits called the open work permit and the closed work permit.

An open work permit allows a foreign national to work under any employer in Canada that wants to hire them for a specific period of time. This permit is issued by Immigration Canada.

Eligibility Criteria

A person should meet the following criteria:

1. Valid study or work permit

2. Parent or common-law partner or spouse should also have a valid study or work permit.

3. The individual is eligible for a post-graduation work permit and the study permit should be valid.

4. There is a post-graduation work permit that has expired or will expire in the next 4 months

5. The spouse or the parent has a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more.

6. The individual is waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence for the in-Canada spousal class or temporary resident permit holder class.

7. The individual wants to make a claim for refugee protection

8. The person has been recognized as a Convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

9. A person is allowed to work in Canada without a work permit, but the work permit is needed for a different job.

10. The person can be a trader, investor or intra-company professional under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).


An employer-specific work permit (also known as a closed work permit) allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include working for a specific employer only, for a specific amount of time and at a specific location only.